Are you the friend who throws a lot of pool parties? Or do you like to have the pool to yourself on the weekends? Regardless of your answer, it’s important to be extra cautious about cleaning your above ground pool. Manual cleaning can take ages. Instead, you must invest in a pool vacuum. What is the best above ground pool vacuum cleaner, you ask? That is every pool owner’s question and this guide has the answer.
Top 7 Above Ground Pool Vacuums to Invest in 2021
After thorough analysis and sifting through customer reviews, we have compiled a list of the best above ground vacuum cleaners. Tag along to find yourself the best option:
1. Aquabot Pool Rover Hybrid Robotic Pool Cleaner
Aquabot hybrid robotic pool cleaner is an efficient, reliable and effective machine for pool cleaning and maintenance. Did you know these machines can save up to $2,500 a year on the operating expenses of your pool?
The vacuum doesn’t need a hose, booster pump or a filtration system to operate. The unit itself is a powerful sump pump and filter on wheels. It can clean 5400 square feet per hour.
Its jet-propelled system cleans the pool’s floor and slopes in less than an hour. That means your pool will be clean in a jiffy. It removes everything starting from large leaves to small particles via it’s 19-quart micro filter bag which is reusable. It is even great for sand removal.
- Extra-wide non-marring wheels
- Cleans floors of any shape
- Self-contained machine
- Works without supervision
- Short cord length makes cleaning somewhat challenging
2. Dolphin Nautilus Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner
Dolphin Nautilus is everyone’s all-time favorite pool cleaner for Intex and other above ground pools. This elegant looking cleaner ensures macro and micro debris are removed and you can swim in clear water.
If you are tired of random patterns, you will not be disappointed by this machine. Its CleverClean technology scans your pool with an advanced algorithm for reaching the floor and walls. The dual scrubbing brushes attack even the toughest dirt.
The large bottom load cartridge filters capture the dirt with a high suction rate. Within 3 hours, your pool will be crystal clear. This automatic pool cleaner doesn’t require a booster pump or hose to operate.
- Plug and play operation – No pre-installation required
- Cleans irregular surfaces and walls
- Large cartridge filters for optimal cleaning
- Anti-tangle swivel cord
- Small objects can jam the operation
3. Dolphin Escape Robotic Above Ground Pool Cleaner
For all budget-conscious consumers, Dolphin Escape will be easy on the pocket. But the manufacturers haven’t compromised on features. It is still equipped with advanced features like HyperBrush scrubbing, smart scanning, and advanced filtration.
Its dual motors consume less energy and finish the job in a few hours. This unit is designed for above ground pools cleaners only. With its SmartNavigation technology, it scans the entire pool and covers the corners as well. That makes it a worthy investment.
The vacuum uses HyperBrush to ensure no dirt or debris is left behind. It dislodges all grime stuck on the surface. The ultra-fine filters catch even the tiniest debris from the water.
- 1.5-hour cleaning cycle
- Improved traction with Hypergrip continuous tracks
- Large filters capture debris of all sizes
- Covers the entire pool including walls and stairs
- Its filters fail to capture small debris
4. Hayward RC9740CUB SharkVac Robotic Pool Cleaner
Hayward RC9740CUB SharkVac Robotic Pool Cleaner is a reliable solution if you need a pool cleaner that reaches the walls, coves, and waterline. Although it has a low profile design, it’s robust in operation.
It’s equipped with a smart steering technology to provide an efficient cleaning pattern. Within 2 hours, it’s done cleaning the floor and coves. The unit runs separately from the filtration system of the pool. So you don’t have to worry about filter backwash cycles.
- Top-access cartridge filter
- Supports programmable cycles
- Scours pool floors and coves
- Finishes the job in 2 hours
- Isn’t great with cleaning pool walls and other areas
5. Dolphin E10 Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner
Dolphin pool cleaners are another name for hassle-free pool cleaning. E10 is a perfect solution for pools up to 30 feet. The unit is designed for worry-free cleaning.
E10 finishes its job in 1.5 hours. What a great way to take back your free time, right? Its superior filtering and floor scrubbing abilities guarantee you will have a sparkling clean pool. It’s good for leaves and most other medium to large dirt particles.
Like other Dolphin models, it saves energy on pool cleaning. It doesn’t need a hose or additional pumps to get the job done. You will be saving 5 cents an hour on operating costs. Once you are done cleaning, as you take out the cleaner from the pool, the water from the unit comes out easily. The trapped debris stays in the basket though.
- Operates on the CleaverClean technology
- Easy debris removal with top load filter basket
- Takes 1.5 hours to clean
- Traps and locks in all sorts of debris
- It sometimes misses large debris
6. Dolphin Nautilus CC Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner
In search of a pool cleaner for algae removal? Dolphin Nautilus CC is just the unit you need. It’s compact hence perfect for small pools up to 33 feet.
It’s 8 times more energy-efficient than other pool cleaners. So don’t worry about your utility bill. It does all the hard work without the help of a hose or pump. The unit is packed with superior scrubbing and filtering capabilities to leave your pool squeaky clean. It even cleans pool walls.
Program it for automatic cleaning from 3 different settings. You will never have to worry about remembering when was the last time you cleaned your pool.
- Fast water release after cleaning
- Climbs pool walls as well
- Works wonders on gunite, tile, and plaster surfaces
- Weekly scheduler for automatic cleaning
- The cord tangles again and again
7. Aquabot X4
Aquabot X4 is best for dirt and debris removal. It has been awarded the Best Value Robot because of its rich feature and affordable price. It’s great at filtering out anything larger than 2 microns.
Its pump circulates 85 GPM. The machine has 4WD traction. The center micro brush ensures that the surface is left crystal clear. Apart from the floor, Aquabot X4 can also cover the walls.
The anti-tangle swivel cord doesn’t get tangled during the operation. The machine will keep on doing its job with any fuss. It’s easy to use for even the new pool owners. The unit also comes with a caddy for transport and storage.
- Top loading cartridge
- Anti-tangle swivel cord
- Comes with a free transport caddy
- 4WD transmission makes it ideal for all types of surfaces
- Emptying two filter baskets separately can be frustrating
Buyer’s Guide: How to Choose the Right Above Ground Pool Vacuum?
It can be a minefield to choose the best vacuum for your pool. For all buyers (first-time and experienced), this buyer’s guide is here to make the decision simpler:
It’s the first thing to understand. The best units have the best features like energy efficiency, strong cord, lightweight design, filters, brushes, etc.
It’s nice to have a pool vacuum that’s equipped with a cleaning accessory kit like extra hoses, adapters for pumps, replacement filter bags, etc.
Pool Size and Shape
The size and shape of your above ground pool will influence your choice a lot. The unit purchased should be able to cover the pool appropriately. A vacuum too small will take hours and hours to complete the job.
Depending on the size of your pool, you will need a cleaner with more stability and suction power. Fortunately, most automatic pool vacuums support both these features.
Never underestimate the importance of the length of the hose. This determines the efficiency of the cleaner. If you have a huge pool, don’t compromise on the length. You need a vacuum that comes with a long hose to cover the entire pool.
Don’t forget to consider the filtration system of the pool. It’s another factor that determines the cleaner’s efficiency. Most automatic vacuums have a self-contained filter for capturing dirt and debris.
A cartridge filter is highly efficient in trapping big and tiny particles. It’s easy to maintain as well. It doesn’t get clogged by debris either. In case you find the filter is getting old, replacing it is a piece of cake. Bag filters are capable of holding a large amount of debris too. Plus, they are machine washable.
Choose a pool vacuum with a long warranty. If it’s a robotic cleaner, that’s a must because the unit has moving parts. If they fail, the machine won’t operate. A good warranty will ensure the product functions well for years to come.
Frequently Asked Questions
Expand your knowledge on above ground pools by reading these frequently asked questions:
Q: How to Vacuum Above Ground Pool to Waste?
A: Sometimes, the pool builds up small particles and debris that owners don’t want to evacuate through the filter. An alternative way is to remove that debris through the vacuum and out of the pool by setting the vacuum on waste.
For that, set the filter to waste. This will send the water and contaminants out of the pool through the backwash hose. Along with that, place the garden hose in the pool. Position it in such a way that the stream of new water doesn’t stir up the dirt to be vacuumed.
Connect the pole and swivel end of the hose to the vacuum head. Lower the vacuum head into the water slowly. Fill the hose with water and connect its other end to the skimmer vacuum plate. Put the vacuum plate on the skimmer basket. Now you are ready to turn on the pump.
Q: How to Vacuum an Intex Above Ground Pool?
- Start by priming the vacuum to remove the air in the system. This will improve its suction.
- Attach the open end of the vacuum to the skimmer inlet. It is powered by the suction of the pool.
- Now start vacuuming the pool by moving the vacuum’s head around the surface of the pool until it’s clean.
Q: How to Hook Up Vacuum to Above Ground Pool Pump?
A: If it’s an automatic pump, simply place it into the pool and plug the cord in the outlet. On the other hand, if it’s a manual vacuum, follow these steps:
- Unplug the pump from the outlet.
- Unscrew the hose connection in the pool.
- Look for the hose with an A mark. Screw the hose adapter in and turn it.
- Connect the adapter to the upper hose connection.
- Attach the hoses through the adapter. Then, turn them clockwise.
- Take the end of the hose that is marked D. Attach its free end to the clamp.
- Connect the free end of the hose to the top vacuum connection. Now, tighten the clamp.
- It’s time to place the vacuum into the water.
- Turn the top air valve in a counterclockwise direction. To create a backflow, fill your cleaner with water.
- Tighten up the air valve for limiting the air.
Q: What is the Best Above Ground Pool Vacuum?
A: This depends on your needs. However, Aquabot Pool Rover Hybrid Robotic Pool Cleaner is the best above ground pool vacuum out in the market.
Aquabot pool Rover Hybrid Robotic Pool Cleaner may be the best above ground pool vacuum but it may not necessarily fit your pool’s shape and size or even your budget. Others on the list are just as good. Explore your options carefully and use the buyer’s guide to find an ideal vacuum. Lastly, go for the option that’s the best value for money and you will have no regrets.