Having the best above ground pool filter can make the difference between swimming in a clean pool and an unhealthy one. Without a pool filter, dirt, bacteria, and contaminants can destroy your pool quickly.
But what is the best above ground pool filter system to buy? Continue reading my review below to find out the model that you should consider buying.
Top 10 Above Ground Pool Filter – My Top Picks
Here is a list of the top above ground pool filters that you should consider getting for your facility.
1. Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump, 14-Inch
It is one of the filter pumps that you can use for your above ground swimming pool. The unit provides you with refreshing, clean, and soft water – a place you can relax all summer.
The all-natural sand of the model offers excellent filtration, and there is a 6-function control valve. You can easily filter, backwash, rinse, drain, recirculate, and close the unit.
It is a superb model for a pool of at least 16 feet, and you do not need to maintain it. The sand can last for about 5-year.
- 24-hour timer – It helps you to operate the system without any hassle while keeping your pool clean.
- Strainer basket – It offers easy-cleaning and prolongs the sand’s life.
- 2,800 gallons per hour – The flow rate ensures that all the water circulates at least once per day for cleaning.
2. XtremePowerUS 4500GPH 19-Inch Sand Filter
The system is perfectly engineered to give you optimum flow rate and ensure a clean pool within hours. Another feature of this unit is the low noise design that allows you to swim more comfortably.
The filter keeps the sand height level; that means that maximum water exposed to the sand and get cleaned. You can count on the model to provide you with consistent performance, mainly due to its backwashing ability.
It is also one of the most affordable units you can get out there.
- 5-way multi-port filter – It ensures that you get an easy time when using the filter and enables easy backwash.
- Capacitor start – The feature makes it easier to start the filter.
- Strainer basket – It comes with a large basket that collects as much dirt as possible.
3. Blue Devil Sand Filter, 19-Inch
Another sand swimming pool filter that you should try is the Blue Devil Sand Filter 19 inches. The unit is ideal for an above ground pool and provides up to 2.1 feet of filter area.
One feature that makes it a superb unit is the integrated water diffuser that helps to distribute the water evenly over the sand. You can set back and have peace of mind that your pool will enjoy proper filtration.
It also comes with a flange clamp design that enables 360-degree rotation for easy installation.
- Durable unit – It is made using polymeric material that is resistant to rust and corrosion.
- Uses sand – The filter uses sand of up to 175 pounds to keep the water clean and soft.
4. Generic Pro 2400GPH 13” Sand Filter
The Generic Pro 2400GPH comes inside a one-piece 13 inches tank that holds up to 42 pounds of sand. It is a system that can filter a pool of about 10K gallons of water within hours.
Another feature of the unit is the 4-way valve that allows you to control it with ease. That means you get an easy time when operating the unit, and you can install it within 5-minute.
The model is designed to produce less noise and can save you energy.
- Dependable performance – It keeps the sand height level to guarantee that all water gets cleaned.
- Multi-port filter – It helps when backwashing and assures easy operation.
- Effective system – The filter system is among the most effective on the market today.
5. Best Choice Products Pro 2400GPH 13” Sand Filter
It is one of the best pool filter systems that you can get out there and is ideal for a pool of up to 10K gallons of water. The model comes with the ETL mark, meaning that it is independently tested and meets all the industry standards.
It is also a durable product that is made of quality material that can resist pool chemicals. The sand filter uses up to 42 pounds of sand and has a capacity of 13 inches.
There is also a strainer basket that collects debris, leaves, and other elements that might be in the pool.
- 4-way valve – The valve helps you to operate the filter without any hassle and backwash.
- Three prong plug – It is an electrical cable that fits most power sockets.
- Huge strainer basket – It helps to collect a lot of debris compared to other sand filters.
6. Rx Clear Radiant Complete Sand Filter System, 22-Inch
It is an all-in-one pool equipment that comes with everything you would need to keep your pool clean. The model can help to clean modern-day pools of up to 26K gallons of water.
Another thing about this model is the ease of installation. You do not need to seek professional help when installing it.
The model also comes with a 6-position multi-port valve and collects debris with ease. It is easy to use this filter system.
- It is an efficient and economic unit
- Comes with 2-piece strainer cover
- Has a 3-year warranty
7. Blue Devil Sand Filter, 16-Inch
The Blue Devil Sand Filter has a 16-inch tank that allows you to clean your pool within minutes. Its 1.35 feet filter is ideal for cleaning most pools, and it has an integrated water diffuser.
You can use this unit and have peace of mind that all the water gets filtered thanks to the diffuser. It also allows for 360-degree rotation that makes it easier to hook up the filter.
It also uses up 100 pounds of sand. You can have peace of mind knowing that you have a filter that can clean your above ground pool effectively.
- Made of durable polymeric material
- Resists corrosion and rust
- Easy to install
8. Hayward S166T92S ProSeries 16-Inch 1 HP Sand Filter System
It is a high-performance top-mount system and can work effectively for an above ground pool, aquariums, and small inground pools. The model is quite durable can resist corrosion, making it ideal for use in pool water chemicals.
Another feature is the abundant water and sand drain that allows for rapid servicing or winterizing. There is also a 7-position vari-flo that allows maximum flow even when the water pressure is low.
You do not need to call a professional to assemble it – that can save you time and money. The product also lasts for years compared to other units on the market today.
- Flange clamp enables 360-degree rotation
- Has an intergrade diffuser
- Able to filter your pool within hours
9. Swimline Sand Filter Combo
The sand filter combo is recommended for all above ground swimming pools with about 2940 gallons of water. It comes with a stand, pump pressure valve, and a sand filter.
The unit requires up to 175 pounds of sand to clean your swimming pool effectively. You can also take less time when installing it compared to other models out there.
The model does not rust even when your pool has a lot of chemicals. And it comes with two 1.5-inch filter connect hoses that allow you to assemble it with ease.
- It takes less time to install
- Made of quality material to last for years
- Comes from a reputable brand
10. Rx Clear Radiant Sand Filter
The filter cleans your pool water to keep it safer for swimming during the warm summer months. It offers efficient filtration and is easy to use compared to other filtration systems on the market today.
The one significant advantage of the unit is the one-piece blow-molded rank that makes it durable. Besides, the unit comes with a 3-year warranty that covers any defect that might arise due to the manufacturing process.
The model uses up to 220 pounds of sand to clean the water and comes with a user’s manual. It also takes less than 5-minute to install the filter.
- Made to last for years
- Comes with a warranty
- Comes with a unique design
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What Size Sand Filter and Pump for Above Ground Pool?
A: The rule of the thumb is to choose a filter that is 1-square-foot for every 10K gallons of water. Such a sand filter and pump can keep your pool clean and allow the water to circulate at least once per day.
Q: How Much Sand for Above Ground Pool Filter?
A: Sand filters come in different diameters such as 13-inch, 14-inch, 19-inch, 22-inch, 36-inch, and many more. They hold varying amounts of sand, but in general, 1-inch should contain about 6.25 pounds of sand.
Q: How to Clean Above Ground Pool Filter?
A: Follow these steps:
- Backwash your filter for 3-5 minutes
- Turn the pump off, and the valve to filter
- Remove the strainer lid
- Pour sand into the strainer and place the lid
- Turn the pump on for 15 seconds
- Turn it off and leave it overnight
- Backwash the filter again
- Turn the system back on
It is easy to get the best above ground pool filter pump when you know what you should look for and what your pool needs. I have given you a review of top models for 2022 and beyond to allow you to choose the ideal unit for your pool.